Blu-ray disc successor plan unveiled by Sony and Panasonic

• Thread starter Thread starter Tech Info
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 11
  • Views Views: Views 2,481

Tech Info

Reaction score
Sony and Panasonic have announced plans for a successor to Blu-ray discs.

The firms say they want to develop an optical disc capable of holding at least 300 gigabytes of data by the end of 2015.

By contrast, dual-layer Blu-rays can only hold up to 50GB.

Sony has previously said that 4K ultra-high-definition movies - which offer four times the resolution of 1080p video - were likely to take up more than 100GB of space.

It recently launched a device that allows 4K films to be streamed over the internet, but that will be impractical for people with slow internet access or accounts with data-use limits.
BBC News - Blu-ray successor plan unveiled by Sony and Panasonic

it will be generally used for 4k videos.So i think its demand will be higher as it is difficult to download 100GB with current speed..

Tesh bro mainly the problem is the BLANK DISK for Example we have DVD writer from a long time,But still we don't have BLANK 17GB DVD disk .Which is define as Dual side & Dual layer means 8.4GB both sides. In the market up to 8GB is available.ok

Second question is that, " what would be the price " which is more Essential ,Can we afford it, Some time the cost of Blank disk is more than drive itself as I heard few year back 17GB blank DVD disk was for Rs.1500 and we get DVD writer for Rs.1200 to 1350 in the market.So we have to see what would be the price of blank BLUE-RAY blank disk and its availability. thanks ;)

NOTE:- If the blank Blue Ray disk has reasonable price then it is going to blast for our Movies storage world with huge capacity. We also have to see if it priced less then HDD other wise HDD is the best option, Also SSD would be the big challenge.

jenius-jatt said:
Tesh bro mainly the problem is the BLANK DISK for Example we have DVD writer from a long time,But still we don't have BLANK 17GB DVD disk .Which is define as Dual side & Dual layer means 8.4GB both sides. In the market up to 8GB is available.ok

Second question is that, " what would be the price " which is more Essential ,Can we afford it, Some time the cost of Blank disk is more than drive itself as I heard few year back 17GB blank DVD disk was for Rs.1500 and we get DVD writer for Rs.1200 to 1350 in the market.So we have to see what would be the price of blank BLUE-RAY blank disk and its availability. thanks ;)

NOTE:- If the blank Blue Ray disk has reasonable price then it is going to blast for our Movies storage world with huge capacity. We also have to see if it priced less then HDD other wise HDD is the best option, Also SSD would be the big challenge.
yes you are right. I agree with you but normal optical disc (single side-single layer) are far more cheaper than other storage devices.
if this upcoming disc is going to be more costlier , then no body will purchase it. so i don't think it will cost like HDD because HDD is far more superior and flexible..

Yes you are also right bro. We have to see its durability over DVD means in term of its reliability + scratch proof and its life etc.

Yes I too think so but as I said earlier if the blank disk would be cheap (Affordable) then its going to be the future of MEDIA storage bro.I love to store my HD movies on it For time being I am storing them on 500GB HDD with solid HD box:.

My Storage: Link Removed

Back
Top Bottom