• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1
  • Views: Views 1,529

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
Dhaka, April 11 (AFP): Record-breaking Australian batsman Shane Watson on Monday said he was just trying to "get the best out of myself" rather than chase milestones during the second one-dayer against Bangladesh.

The opener hammered a world-record 15 sixes in his unbeaten 185 off 96 balls as Australia defeated Bangladesh by nine wickets to gain an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the three-match series.

West Indies' Xavier Marshall was the previous record-holder with 12 sixes against Canada in 2008.

"In the end, I'm not comparing myself to anyone. It doesn't worry me if there's someone better than me or ranked higher than me," said Watson, named man of the match.

"I'm just trying to get the best out of myself I possibly can."

Watson's knock was also the highest by an Australian in one-day internationals, surpassing Matthew Hayden's 181 not out against New Zealand in Hamilton four years ago.

He also had a chance of breaking Hayden's record 66-ball century, the fastest by an Australian in one-dayers.

"I don't know exactly how many balls Hayden faced," said Watson, who took 69 balls to complete his hundred.

"I'm not playing to break records or anything like that. I'm just trying to back myself and if it comes off like it did today then it's brilliant. But I'm not going out with any thought of breaking records."

Watson said he tried to go for big shots as he was feeling tired in hot and humid conditions.

"The reason I kept going after reaching 100 is because I was tired and didn't really want to run too much. I was either going to try to hit as many sixes as I could or get out, that was as simple as it was," said Watson, 29.

"It's just one of those days when everything you try comes out of the middle of the bat. A mis-hit goes into the gap or you get dropped. I got to a point where I got pretty tired. It was hot and humid out there."

Watson also scored the most runs (150) in boundaries in a one-day innings, breaking South African Herschelle Gibbs's record of 126.

I wanted to hit as many sixes or get out: Watson

Dhaka, April 11 (IANS) Australian all-rounder Shane Watson Monday said he ended up smashing a record 15 sixes as he was getting tired in the middle and either wanted to go for his shots or get out.

Watson's sixes were part of his stupendous innings of 185 as Australia posted a nine-wicket victory against Bangladesh in the second One-day International here at the Shere Bangla Stadium.

'I got to a point where I got pretty tired, it was hot and humid out there so I didn't really want to have to run too much,' Watson told reporters here.

'I was either going to try to hit as many sixes as I could, or get out, because I was pretty tired, that was as simple as it was.'

Watson broke the record of West Indies' Xavier Marshall, who hit 12 sixes against Canada in 2008.

The opening batsman was in ominous form as he also struck 15 fours in his 96-ball innings.

This means he scored a phenomenal 150 runs off just 30 balls and the remaining 66 balls he faced fetched him 35 runs.

Watson, with his devastating knock here, also surpassed the highest score by an Australian in ODIs. Matthew Hayden's 181 not out against New Zealand at Hamilton in 2007 was the previous best.

It was Watson's sixth ODI hundred and it came of just 69 balls, the third fastest by an Australian.

Wht A Super Hitter of Sixer this man. I really like his Innings.:happy::happy::happy:

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock