2G scam: BJP reiterates demand for Chidambaram's resignation

Reaction score
New Delhi, June 16 (ANI): The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday reiterated the demand for resignation of Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram, saying that he played a major role as Finance Minister in fixing the price of 2G spectrum.

"Chidambaram's post-facto fait accompli sanction to the deal, to the allotment and since that now, hence further, in the days to come, now that should be distributed, allotted through auction. Why this sudden change in the stand of Chidambaram who was insisting on auction and not allotment on the basis of old rates, that is the mute question," said BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar.

"And that is why we are putting this question again. He owes an explanation and we reiterate our demand for his resignation," he added.

Javadekar further said the faulty allocations of 2G telecom spectrum ultimately caused losses to the exchequer to the tune of 1.76 trillion rupees.

"Let me remind Chidambaram that contemporaneous evidence is always stronger and credible than subsequent self-serving denials. And that is why we are asking one simple question, it is not because who has benefited from the 2G scam will ultimately come in the light and it'll be open. The issue is who is at the loss? The nation is at the loss to the tune of 1.76 trillion rupees," he added.

Chidambaram on Wednesday refuted allegations that he was a beneficiary in the 2G scam and termed statements attributed to a former Reliance Industries employee in this regard as 'totally false and per se defamatory'.

In a signed statement, he also said that a conversation between the RIL employee K Ramachandran Raja and corporate lobbyist Niira Radia is 'reckless and malicious gossip'.

Chidambaram said sections of the media have carried a report on a conversation between 'Raja' and Niira Radia. It has also been reported that a recording of that conversation exists.

"I have made some enquiries. I have learned that the 'Raja' who figures in the conversation is one Shri K Ramachandran Raja (Shri KR Raja), an employee of M/s Reliance Industries Limited.

"The statements attributed to the said K Ramachandran Raja are totally false and per se defamatory. The conversation between him and Ms Radia is reckless and malicious gossip," he said.

Chidambaram said a legal notice has been issued on his behalf to the said K Ramachandran Raja demanding an unconditional apology.

Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has, however, tendered a "profuse apology" to Chidambaram for remarks made by an employee, K R Raja, to corporate lobbyist Niira Radia, which suggested that Chidambaram was a beneficiary in the 2G spectrum scam.

n the basis of media reports, the BJP had earlier also demanded Chidambaram's resignation, alleging he was a beneficiary in the scam.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock