Reliance Jio today announced the launch of nation-wide Voice and Video calls over Wi-Fi service. Jio has been testing this service over the past few months, to provide a robust experience to every customer at launch. This service will be enabled pan-India between 7th and 16th January 2020.
The key differentiators that come with Jio Wi-Fi calling are:
- Customers can use any Wi-Fi network for Jio Wi-Fi-calling, it works irrespective of the ISP
- The voice and video calls will seamlessly switch-over between VoLTE and Wi-Fi to provide an enhanced voice/video-calling experience
- Jio Wi-Fi calling works on the largest ecosystem of handsets, it supports over 150 devices
- Jio customers can also make Video over Wi-Fi calls
- All of this comes at no additional cost!
Commenting at the launch of this service, Mr. Akash Ambani, Director, Jio, said
“At Jio, we are constantly innovating to enhance customer experience or solve their problems. At this juncture, when an average Jio consumer uses over 900 minutes of voice calls every month, and at a growing base of consumers, the launch of Jio Wi-Fi Calling will further enhance every Jio consumer’s voice-calling experience, which is already a benchmark for the industry with India’s-first all VoLTE network.”
How to enable Wi-Fi Calling
- Apple iPhones : Go to Settings > Mobile Data > WiFi Calling > Enable.
- Samsung: Enable WiFi calling from quick settings.
- OnePlus : Go to settings > WiFi & Internet > Sim & Network > Sim 1 / Sim 2 > WiFi Calling > Enable.
- Xiaomi : Settings > Sim Cards & Mobile Network > Jio > Make calls using WiFi > Enable.
- Other: Enable WiFi calling from network settings.
Jio VoWifi will work even in roaming and you don’t need a separate app or any log-in process to use it. This technology provides better indoor connectivity by using the Wi-Fi network that the device is connected to, where usually the cellular signals are poor. Jio users in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh have reported that the JioVoWifi service has been enabled for them today.
The launch of VoWiFi calling in India is all set to herald a new chapter in voice communications. Airtel had earlier launched VoWiFi calling and Jio has now followed its footsteps and launched it officially. Is the Jio VoWiFi service enabled on your device yet? What is your experience and point of view on VoWiFi calling? Let us know your opinion in the comments section.