Vodafone set to drop brand 'Idea' from postpaid services

Rajat Basak

Solutions
Reaction score
According to an announcement made by the company on Thursday, Vodafone Idea set to drop brand 'Idea' from postpaid services .

"While all new postpaid customers will be on-boarded directly to Vodafone RED plans as per their usage and preference, all existing customers of Idea Nirvana, the postpaid offering under the Idea brand, will be migrated to similar Vodafone RED plans," the company said in a statement.

The company's prepaid customers will, however, continue to get services under both Vodafone and Idea brands. They merged their mobile businesses in August 2018 to create Vodafone Idea Ltd.

Last edited:
Recently I am noticing that at least for my circle of UPE, Idea's name has vanished from everywhere. There are new bill boards with all Vodafone branding and I am not able to easily find dealers selling Idea's SIM card. This may also be due to the fact that Idea's network has been shutdown at many places across UPE and customers have been migrated to Vodafone's network.

Going forward, I think that they will be completely phasing out the Idea brand.

Great news and it shows that the company is persisting with the Vodafone brand, and trying to recover after the financial crisis in November 2019 nearly killed it.

They should also drop "Idea" brand from prepaid service. Vodafone has the majority stake about 45% share in their company. Also it is a popular brand in other countries too...

They should also drop "Idea" brand from prepaid service. Vodafone has the majority stake about 45% share in their company. Also it is a popular brand in other countries too...
It depends on whether the Aditya Birla Group wants to drop the brand it has developed since 2002 and completely transition to the global name of Vodafone.

I think they will have dual brand strategy like FMCG companies do. They will keep Vodafone for postpaid and Idea for Prepaid

Great news and it shows that the company is persisting with the Vodafone brand, and trying to recover after the financial crisis in November 2019 nearly killed it.
Actually I like both Idea and Vodafone brands. But it is meaningless to run 2 brands without any difference in their service. I wish the company to retain the 2 brands, but both of them should posses some uniqueness. Either they cater different services (means prepaid, postpaid) or same services targeting different people.

Actually I like both Idea and Vodafone brands. But it is meaningless to run 2 brands without any difference in their service. I wish the company to retain the 2 brands, but both of them should posses some uniqueness. Either they cater different services (means prepaid, postpaid) or same services targeting different people.
Or Aditya Birla group should sell off its holding to Vodafone group and convert into a pure MVNO using Vodafone's network infrastructure and providing purely prepaid service with bundled plans targeting specific user groups like college students and those living on campus.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock