Unable To Format Hard Disc Drive help needed

somnath chakraborty

Contributor
Reaction score
can anyone help me find solution i am unable my 3tb hard disc drive i have xp and windows xp operating cd/dvd also but the problem is when i try to format only 756gb capacity showing instead of 3tb i know etb never give full capacity but 756gb so here i need help how can i use full capacity of my hard disc drive

@somnath chakraborty Bro, don't use XP. Use Windows 10 or 7 to format your PC. You can also use Linux live CD to format HDD.
And, if Windows XP or any other Windows OS is already installed, use mini tool partition or Ease us. Both has a free version for home users.

@somnath chakraborty Bro, what @sumitroy bro suggested will sure work.
If everything fails you can try Partition Edit Tool. After running the tool, replace everything you see with Zero (0).
This way you will get a raw HDD which you can partition again. Use with caution, All data will get erased.

Last edited:
@Zmint bro thank you i try tommorow and in hard disc yet had no data so i have no worry of my data lost
Apart from this, While trying to fresh install from windows xp operating cd/dvd did you try use the 'L' switch to delete partitions(and create again) before formatting ? This way u will get the full space available on HDD

Apart from this, While trying to fresh install from windows xp operating cd/dvd did you try use the 'L' switch to delete partitions(and create again) before formatting ? This way u will get the full space available on HDD
yes i did your above menton procedure to install win xp now i try win 7 . when i go in bios menu for checking that my hdd showing or not it also show full 3tb capacity

bro If it's internal HDD you need to format your HDD via live os. (ubuntu,mint,fedora,etc). If it's external HDD you can format it using Device manager. first delete partitions, I think you partitioned 750GB and remaining are unallocated or another partition. so delete other partitions and delete the 756GB partition too, then you'll get 2. or something unallocated partition. then create a new partition.

bro If it's internal HDD you need to format your HDD via live os. (ubuntu,mint,fedora,etc). If it's external HDD you can format it using Device manager. first delete partitions, I think you partitioned 750GB and remaining are unallocated or another partition. so delete other partitions and delete the 756GB partition too, then you'll get 2. or something unallocated partition. then create a new partition.
bro thanx for sugetion but it is internal hdd and i use it on pc

Then use linux live cd. download ubuntu or mint os from their official sites. then flash os into usb and run as live os. make sure to backup important files before proceeding partitions.

Once you're in live os. check whether it has gparted or not. if it's not there follow the steps.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install gparted

once you install gpated. you can see HDD list on top right carner choose the hard disk you want to format. and then delete all partitions. once it's done. select create partition if you want to seperate partitions or else format to whatever format that suits you.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock