Telecom regulator to 'look into' retention offers of Airtel, Idea, Vodafone

Anup Tiwari

Reaction score
New Delhi: Telecom regulator Trai will "look into" the complaints about operators doling out customised retention offers to influence subscribers who want to shift to a rival network.Trai Chairman RS Sharma asserted that all offerings by operators need to be transparent, non-discriminatory and filed with the regulator but refused to be drawn into the specifics.
If these complaints have come, we will certainly look into them. Because the tariff has to satisfy the criteria of being transparent and being non-discriminatory. So these principles have to be followed...we will look into that," Sharma told .

He was responding to a query about Trai views on newcomer Reliance Jio's recent allegation that incumbent operators are lining-up customised retention offers for subscribers wanting to shifting out of their network.
In a letter to Trai last month, Jio had termed such methods as being "unfair and deceptive", and claimed that the offers were being presented to customers "surreptitiously" on one-to-one basis and not available to the general public
Reliance Jio: Telecom regulator to 'look into' retention offers of Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, Telecom News, ET Telecom

By law you cannot discriminate between subscribers but these offers are only available to those high value subscribers(gives higher ARPU) who sent Port SMS. If two person of monthly usage Rs 500 and Rs 50 send port then Rs 500 user will definitely get way better deal than Rs 50 user(if he is lucky to get an offer) . This is illegal as both hv same rights.

Majority of subscribers are not aware of these offers as these plans are not published anywhere.

akshayprabhu said:
I never got a retention offer... I've ported numerous times... No one wanted to retain me :'( :'(

you'll retention offer on Apps of Telecom Companies. Kindly Check

Last edited by a moderator:
Offtopic but its similar to dth operators as well like tata sky which provides specific offers to customers like 50-60% off on yearly plans for deactivate customers..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock