Sanjay Bangar resigns as Kings XI coach

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Sanjay Bangar, India's batting coach, has ended ties with Kings XI Punjab on Saturday (December 24), where he started off as the assistant coach for the side in 2014 before being promoted to the role of a head coach.

Speaking to ESPNcricinfo , Bangar confirmed about the latest development, "I submitted my resignation in the last week of November. They [KXIP] came back to me around the second week of December. I was totally engrossed in the [England] series and that is the reason why I sort of waited till the end of the series."

Bangar, under whom the franchise made it to the final of the tournament in 2014, before finishing at the bottom of the table in the next couple of years, was reportedly involved in an altercation with one of the co-owners of the franchise. Without speaking much about the alleged tiff, Bangar was quoted as saying to the Hindustan Times , "It is a professional set-up. The IPL is a model which is run on producing results.

"In the course of the tournament, there are debates and deliberations. You take certain decisions and there are some which are right and there are some which don't go your way. It is all a part and parcel. We as professionals need to accept this thing. (For the last) two seasons we didn't get the results we wanted. It was time to move on and let fresh ideas come in."

Crediting the franchise for their "huge help" ahead of his appointment with the Indian team, Bangar elaborated further, "You don't have much time to work on the players during the IPL. It is about man-management of players of various international credentials, managing young players and finding the right balance.

"It is a very profit-driven model where cost has to be managed, the dynamics of the auction need to be understood and manage a large group of players in a short time. Those are the valuable lessons I have learnt.

Bangar also acknowledged that his stint with the franchise has been immensely satisfying. "It's been a fabulous journey," he started. "It gives me immense satisfaction to see the players whom I picked - from when they were in their formative years - to benefit from the exposure.

"There are a number of players who were able to showcase their talent like Manan Vohra, Sandeep Sharma, Wriddhiman Saha, who weren't getting the opportunities. Axar Patel, who was last IPL's best young cricketer, went on to play for India. Their progress gives me immense pride. We topped the league and reaching the final was the best part of my time with Kings XI.

"I am not in talks with any other franchise as of now. I will weigh my options."

Sanjay Bangar resigns as Kings XI coach - Cricbuzz

Virender Sehwag likely to replace Sanjay Bangar as Kings XI Punjab head coach

Former India opener Virender Sehwag may soon take up a coaching role like his former team-mates Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid.

According the reports, the 38-year-old is contention to become the next head coach of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Kings XI Punjab, after the position was left vacant with the resignation of Sanjay Bangar.

The India's batting coach stepped down from the position in November.

"I submitted my resignation in the last week of November. They [the franchise] came back to me around the second week of December," Bangar told ESPNcricinfo. "I was totally engrossed in the [England] series and that is the reason why I sort of waited till the end of the series."

Sehwag played for the KXIP and also served as the mentor of the team last year.

Sehwag is regarded as one of the most destructive batsmen ever, and his presence in the dug out will be a huge morale booster for the the underperforming team.

Virender Sehwag likely to replace Sanjay Bangar as Kings XI Punjab head coach | Zee News

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock