• Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,964

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
AHMEDABAD, SEPT 20:
A quarter of a century after BSNL set up the first public call office in India, telecom czar Sam Pitroda on Thursday launched the “second telecom revolution” by calling the Ahmedabad BSNL officials through a Video Call Office (VCO), from New Delhi, saying millions of migrants in the country could benefit from this facility.

Video call charges from a VCO booth of BSNL will cost just Rs 3 for 45-seconds. At present, India has nearly 43 lakh PCOs, most of which are struggling for survival after mobile telephony surfaced. These PCOs could now be upgraded into VCOs.

“No other government in the world has done this. The Government of India has earmarked Rs 1,000 crore for public information systems as an investment into the future,” he said. “I can imagine the kids carrying Aakash tablets to their schools, rather than heavy bags, in five years down the line. I am astounded to see my 18-month-old granddaughter talk to me via video”, said Pitroda, Advisor to the Prime Minister on Public Information, Instruction and Innovation.

For this revolution, India would have to roll out the broadband juggernaut; all our courts and police stations, besides 2.5 lakh panchayats, must have broadband and computers. “Broadband is our future as the second phase of telecom revolution is about to begin to create new models for healthcare delivery systems, education etc., for the masses. Even our teachers will have to change. It is a huge challenge.”

Other services

Besides video-calling, the facility could also be used for value-added services like mobile/DTH recharging, matrimonial meetings, tele-education, astrology, business meetings, job interviews, ‘mandir darshan’, railway ticket booking and medical tele-consultation.

BSNL Chairman and Managing Director R.K. Upadhyay said India’s teledensity was less than 1 per cent and increased only after introduction of mobile telephony in 1995. With one billion mobile phone connections expected in the next few years, India would be the second largest growth story after China in this sector. The country is expected to have 600 million broadband connections by 2020.

N.K. Gupta, Director (CFA), BSNL, said with the PCOs’ business witnessing a steep fall from the highest of Rs 4,000 crore a few years ago, it was time these offices upgraded themselves into VCOs, which can also revive landline business. “We are talking to MTNL for providing VCOs in New Delhi and Mumbai as well”.

Mr Sunil Kakkad, CMD of the Ahmedabad-based, Rs 1,500 crore Sai Infosystems (India) Ltd that developed the VCO solutions, said no personal computer would be required to make an instant face-to-face video call. Video quality would be assured through BSNL’s MPLS-VPN and VCOs can have an opportunity to create one-stop-shops for improved footfalls.

In the first phase, BSNL is opening VCO outlets in 12 States — Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Jammu & Kashmir. In the next six months, the facility will be available in the southern and eastern areas as well. Video calls from a VCO can be made within India only.

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : Pitroda launches video call services; PCOs to be upgraded

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock