PayPal accuses Paytm of copying its logo

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
After being accused of Chinese ownership, and colluding with the Prime Minister in the demonetization scheme, Paytm is now facing a trademark infringement case. US-based e-wallet platform PayPal has accused Paytm of using similar color scheme in their logo as theirs. PayPal has filed a trademark infringement complaint with the Indian Trademark office, claiming that Paytm had no reason to do so if it did not intend to gain from PayPal’s global reputation and use it to grow its own user base.

In the report filed by PayPal, the company points out at two things in Paytm logo, which are allegedly copied from the formers. PayPal points out at the dual blue color scheme that Paytm uses, which it claims is “adopted in entirety.” Second, it points out the use of the word ‘Pay’ at the beginning of the logo name, which has a high recollection value and makes the brand name sound very similar to PayPal’s.

According to a report by Hindustan Times , the PayPal notice read, “(Paytm) slavishly adopted the two-tone blue colour scheme of PayPal in its entirety. While the first syllable in each mark is in dark blue colour, the second syllable adopts a light blue colour… Further, both marks begin with the term ‘PAY’ which consumers tend to remember more than the second syllable, with the marks being of similar length.” BGR India reached out to Paytm for response on the same, and we are awaiting a reply.

Further, in case you are wondering why PayPal has filed a case against Paytm now, when the company has existed for around six-years now, experts suggest that this could be a competitive move. The law states that, after a company advertises its trademark application, an opposition to its registration can only be filed in the time frame of four months from its date of registration. In this case, the complaint from PayPal comes in on the final day of the four-month timeframe for registering opposition to Paytm’s advertisement of its trademark application, which was filed on July 18.

“Paytm has been around for some time now and PayPal could have objected to the use of the mark by initiating legal proceedings. This wasn’t done. Whilst filing of oppositions is fairly normal in the industry, in the present case, it may also be a competitive move,” Samuel Niranjan, counsel, intellectual property, at law firm Khaitan & Co told Gadgets Now.

Additionally, in the scenario where PayPal wins the the trademark battle, the latter would have to change the colour scheme of its logo, and might have to pay hefty damages as per the trademark registration laws of the country.

PayPal accuses Paytm of copying its logo

Even PayU biz logo somewhat similar to PayPal & Paytm!!!

So what is it mean ? No one can use these color in logo as Paypal has copyright ? :u

I dont see any similarity evcept the color. Text alignment different, font different, font case different.. I dont think paypal has patented the blue color, have they. It more of a pubicity stunt by paypal than anything else... Using paytm's popularity to grab attention.

Sarkar said:
So what is it mean ? No one can use these color in logo as Paypal has copyright ? :u

PayPal has accused Paytm of using similar color scheme in their logo as theirs, first syllable in each mark is in dark blue colour, the second syllable adopts a light blue, also both marks begin with the term ‘PAY’.

rahul1117kumar said:
PayPal has accused Paytm of using similar color scheme in their logo as theirs, first syllable in each mark is in dark blue colour, the second syllable adopts a light blue,

So PayPal is saying that we cannot even use dark and light blue color at the Same time anywhere in the world. That's the most stupid argument I hv ever hard of in my life [emoji16]

Sarkar said:
So PayPal is saying that we cannot even use dark and light blue color at the Same time anywhere in the world. That's the most stupid argument I hv ever hard of in my life [emoji16]

bro, publicity stunt nothing else from PayPal.

rahul1117kumar said:
PayPal has accused Paytm of using similar color scheme in their logo as theirs, first syllable in each mark is in dark blue colour, the second syllable adopts a light blue, also both marks begin with the term ‘PAY’.

This is what there in the article bro.. He is asking a question after reading this only..

Sarkar said:
What's more.. They were silent till Paytm got popular and now only they found it hence sued them...

I don't think that their is any similarities between both the logo even not colors have look.
fcfa8aa95ebbde8dead6e75be94faa7d.jpg
04e88fdb7719ccb86e38c73c12122160.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock