Breaking OnePlus found to be collecting personally identifiable analytics data from its range of phones

What do you think of this act of OnePlus?

• They are wrong to do so

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • It's just phone data for analytics, it's alright!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

akshayprabhu

Reaction score
OnePlus has been discovered collecting massive amounts of analytics data from phone owners. The collected data includes IMEI numbers, MAC addresses, mobile network names and IMSI prefixes, serial numbers, and more. Christopher Moore, a software engineer, made a post on his personal blog showing his discoveries. During a Hack Challenge, Moore began proxying the internet traffic from his OnePlus 2. Among the usual network activity, he noticed a large amount of requests to open.oneplus.net.

Through deeper inspection, he found the domain name to be an Amazon AWS instance owned by OnePlus. I'll save you the technical jargon, but essentially, he could see his phone sending data frequently to the open.oneplus.net server over HTTPS. He was able to decrypt the data (using the authentication key on the phone) which revealed that his OP2 was sending time-stamped information about locks, unlocks, and unexpected reboots.

More details: OnePlus OxygenOS built-in analytics

it's morally wrong but it's only until someone finds out that other Chinese companies might be doing the same

Every company does this.

I agree with others..every chinese company phone does that currently except Le eco..their servers are down😈

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock