Now, headband to 'read' your mind

Reaction score
Now, headband to 'read' your mind

Headband that transmits light through the forehead and reads brain activity

US scientists have developed a headband that may be able to measure the limits of the brain, and determine when people are functioning smoothly and when they are beginning to falter.

“We were looking of some way of getting real-time information about a person's state of mind and mental fatigue,” said Sergio Fantini, a professor in the department of biomedical engineering at Tufts University in Boston.

He had been researching methods of near-infra-red spectroscopy, a non-invasive technique in which light waves beamed into the skull measure blood flow and oxygenation levels in the brain. A heavily taxed brain draws more blood and absorbs more light.

The technique, first suggested in 1977, was refined in studies in Europe, America and Japan in the 1990s.

“Sergio was using it for medical diagnostics. I happened to pass through his laboratory and thought: 'Oh my god, I could use that',” said Robert Jacob, a professor in the computer science department at the university.

Read Full Here

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock