New Year Kicked off with Credit card fraud.

• Thread starter venky
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 15
  • Views: Views 2,553

venky

Reaction score
Newyear started with an HDFC Credit card compromise. My card was about to expire in Feb and got a replacement card (Same number which I didn't care much) by Dec 20th. Opened the package and ensured card is there. Then kept it like that.

On Jan 3rd around 10 am in the morning, got a call that a transaction of Rs 0 happened on my card and IVR wants me to confirm if it was me or not. I was confused and in seconds got an SMS saying Rs 45137.63 got charged on my card and description was SP * SNOW TEETH WHIT. Was shocked and again HDFC calls started flooding. Contacted CC and hotlisted the card and in between, I was getting so many calls from HDFC itself. End of the call, monitoring team also confirmed that my card was compromised on some US website.
I have raised a dispute regarding this physically as well as via email.
Didn't get any response for 2 days and today I triggered an email asking for status. They assured that they are looking into the issue, but the below response is confusing me about the liability.
------------------------------------
We have received authorization request for the above mentioned amount and the same was approved, our records indicate that the transaction has not been debited to your card account as on date.

We would also wish to inform you that we are having follow up towards the aforesaid transaction and would initiate appropriate liaison with the concerned merchant bank in the event of said transaction billed on your card account. Please be rest assured that the Bank will not spare any effort in resolving your concerns to your satisfaction.

Further, we inform to you that in absence of any charge being processed to your card account, the authorization amount blocking the credit limit will be restored automatically by DD/MM/YYYY.

------------------------------------

Experts please advise on this.

Last edited:
Did you checked your balance? Was it debited?

The amount is now blocked on the available balance and card is hotlisted now. If the dispute team doesn't reverse the charge, then I would be in trouble. As per their reply, its still not debited but amount is blocked. The response below is what I'm concerned about.

Further, we inform to you that in absence of any charge being processed to your card account, the authorization amount blocking the credit limit will be restored automatically by DD/MM/YYYY.

Don't worry it would be back.
If you picked up the call from their fraud dept and confirmed it was not you then don't worry they get this covered.
Meanwhile keep in touch via email just to keep it in records for safekeeping.

Don't worry it would be back.
If you picked up the call from their fraud dept and confirmed it was not you then don't worry they get this covered.
Meanwhile keep in touch via email just to keep it in records for safekeeping.
Yeah, HDFC is good with proactive measures in high value transaction.

Generally if CC is used for overseas transaction its not deducted at the same time due to forex rates, I see that they stated the amount though approved has not been deducted from your card, so i think you are safe here as you have already flagged with the concern team, remember that you are connecting with the bank officials on their official emails and tel nos. Keep in touch with them with any service number created for your complaint.

When a merchant bank initiate a transaction request, your bank puts the amount in authorisation mode only. Then there will be internal verifications for known spam/phishing and customer triggered verifications like OTP etc. Only after clearing the verification the transaction will be processed and the money will be transferred. All this happens in few seconds.

I always end up blocking my SBI card when I try to use it on Google Play with relatively new publishers. 😂😂 I will immediately get a call from their fraud check dept. stating they cannot verify the seller and would ask me if it was really me who initiated the transaction and if i want that seller to be whitelisted. Only after my nod, the transaction will be processed.

Same applies to your situation as well. The amount will be in authorisation status now. When the authorisation fails, the amount will be back on your card. The merchant would have been alerted by the card block now and won't try to authorise again. Rest assured, the authorisation will drop in few days and you will get the money back.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock