Ludhiana railway station starts free wi-fi facility

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
The Ferozepur railway division has started free wi-fi facility at Ludhiana railway station. According to a railway official, the facility came into operation from January 28.

Jaison Singh from Alamgir village daily commutes to Amritsar. He said, "It is a privilege to get free high speed wi-fi hotspot connectivity. I have a wi-fi facility at home as well as at office and I do not recharge data packs. However, now I will get latest news updates while waiting for the train and also regarding train delays."

Interestingly, though railway officials at the station are informed about the facility, no information boards were put for the general public. A total of 27 people logged on to this facility on Saturday, 43 on Sunday and the number rose to 106 on Monday.

RailTel engineer Navdeep Singh said, "There are 17 access switches and 35 access points with four fiber switches and one main router from platform 1 to 7 that have been installed with 10 tera byte per connection of 2 MPBS unlimited surfing. One GB/second is distributed to customers and proper network is provided. Within 24 hours we can access 1 MB speed for 1 hour but later the speed will decline."

Senior section engineer (telecom) Vikram Sharma said free wi-fi facility was available at all platforms and it did not cover circulation area. "We will install boards to spread awareness about this facility to general public."

Ludhiana railway station was among 500 railway stations across the country shortlisted to have wi-fi facility. Under centrally-sponsored ‘Digital India' campaign, more than 200 railway stations will be have the facility by the end of the year.

The entire project is being carried out under
RailTel Corporation of India. It focuses on providing broadband and multimedia networks across the country in addition to the modernization of train operations and administration network system. RailTel has collaborated with Google for this project.

How to avail the facility

For availing the Wi-Fi facility, users will have to turn on the Wi-Fi feature in their mobile phones that will ask them to enter their mobile number username naming ‘Rail wire'.

After giving the number, the users will receive one-time password ( OTP ) through SMS and entering that password will enable the Wi-Fi connection.

The users can avail the facility for 24 hours. Initially, full speed internet will be provided that will get slowed down after an hour.

ludhiana railway station starts free wi-fi facility, Telecom News, ET Telecom

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock