• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 405

Basil

Staff member
Reaction score
Kirsten 'not considering' England role

157626.6.jpg

Gary Kirsten, the former South Africa coach, has distanced himself from becoming the next England team director.

Kirsten, 46, is considered the outstanding candidate to replace Andy Flower and is third favourite in the betting. But he told ESPNcricinfo that although he is yet to be approached about the role, he would not consider the position at this stage.

"I've not been approached about the England job," he said. "And I'm not considering it at this stage."

Kirsten also told reporters in India that his circumstances have not changed since stepping down as coach of South Africa last July.

Despite leading South Africa to No. 1 in the world Test rankings, Kirsten cited the amount of time spent away from home as the reason for quitting and said the same explanation prevents an interest in returning to international cricket.

"I suppose it is flattering that people are thinking about me," Kirsten said. "As far as I am concerned, my sentiments have not changed."

Kirsten was speaking ahead of the IPL auction as he prepares to assemble a team for the Delhi Daredevils where he was appointed head coach in September.

The job involves no more than ten weeks away from his home in Cape Town and his three young children, a far cry from the months spent abroad in international cricket.

His new role is thought to be worth more than US$500,000 (£306,000) for a little more than two months work. It has been reported that the ECB would need to double that figure to land Kirsten, who is also contracted for 50 days a year as batting consultant for South Africa.

Kirsten was India coach from 2008-2011 but was able to enjoy very little time at home and did not consider moving his family to India. England could be a more attractive location to relocate to and if his family were to base themselves in the UK, the job of England team director could yet be of interest to Kirsten.

The caveat "at this stage" may yet turn out to be significant and, with England's next Test series not starting until June, there is no great urgency to come to a decision.

Ashley Giles, the England one-day coach, is the odds-on favourite for the job. Other candidates include Mick Newell, the Nottinghamshire coach, and former Sri Lanka coach Tom Moody, who expressed an interest in the position.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock