Indian 'SUNDAR PICHAI' new Google CEO !!

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 12
  • Views: Views 1,995

Siva

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
Out of the blue, Larry Page took to Google’s official blog this afternoon to announce the creation of a new company, Alphabet. So what is Alphabet? Just another of the many companies under Google? No, the exact opposite. Alphabet is a new umbrella company that is a collection of other companies, including Google.

Larry Page will act as CEO of Google’s new parent company, with Sergey Brin as President. As for Google? It is getting slimmed down a bit, with Life Sciences (a company that focuses on glucose-sensing contact lens), Calico (focused on longevity) and some of the other “way out in left field” projects moving under Alphabet’s wings. Yes, that means X Labs is also now under Alphabet and not directly associated with Google.

Google is not a conventional company. We do not intend to become one. - Larry Page
Google will remain focused on Internet products, Android, and other Google-y things with Sundar Pichai now moving into the position of CEO of Google itself. For those wondering, YouTube will remain a semi-independent part of Google as well, with Susan in charge as its CEO.

So why rebrand now? Basically, Google has grown into a giant monster. The idea is that restructuring will allow for better organization, with each company under Alphabet having its own “strong CEO who runs each business” with Sergey and Page “in service to them as needed”. In many ways, the new company will operate similar to the old one, but with more defined lines, better accountability, and more comprehensive structure. Alphabet Inc. will also replace Google Inc. as the publicly traded entity, and all shares of Google will convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet.

Obviously this a huge shake-up and totally unexpected. We’ll be sure to bring you more details as this story develops, as well as some reactions to how the creation of Alphabet changes the company’s structure and identity going forward. For those that want to do a bit more digging, Alphabet has already launched an official website, though there’s not much to see just yet.

Google founders name Sundar as Google CEO, create new parent company called Alphabet

Larry Page is now chief executive of Alphabet. Sergey Brin is its president.

And moving up to be in charge of Google is 43-year-old Sundar Pichai.

Great news for Pichai, and good news too for India - his appointment makes him the latest Indian to earn a massively high-profile job in the US technology industry. Microsoft's Satya Nadella is the other notable example.

Pichai's life story is remarkable, and his rise to the top of Google is a glowing endorsement of India's standing in the global technology industry, and equally, a reassuring reminder of the so-called "American Dream".

Pichai was born and schooled in Chennai, India. He captained his school's cricket team, leading it to win regional competitions.

He studied Metallurgical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur (IIT Kharagpur). According to one of his tutors, quoted in the Times of India, Pichai was the "brightest of his batch".

He has evidently used his talent to great effect at Google, a company he joined in 2004. Products under his watch include Google's web browser, Chrome, as well as the Android mobile operating system.

Android is by far the world's most popular mobile OS - a fact made perhaps more startling by the fact Pichai's family did not possess a telephone until he was 12 years old.
Challenges

According to a profile in Bloomberg magazine, Pichai's upbringing was humble. His family lived in a two room apartment. Pichai didn't have a room - he slept on the living room floor, as did his younger brother.

The family didn't own a television, or a car.

But Pichai's father planted the seeds of technology into his boy's mind, partly thanks to his job at British conglomerate General Electric Company (not to be confused with the American General Electric).

I used to come home and talk to him a lot about my work day and the challenges I faced," Regunatha Pichai told Bloomberg, adding that Sundar had a remarkable talent for remembering telephone numbers.

After graduating from IIT Kharagpur, Pichai was offered a scholarship at the ultimate breeding ground of tech geniuses - Stanford. The plane ticket to America cost more than his Dad's annual salary.

At Google, Pichai is described as soft-spoken, and well liked. He is also very popular among developers - he runs Google's annual developer event, I/O.

"Sundar has been saying the things I would have said (and sometimes better!) for quite some time now, and I've been tremendously enjoying our work together," wrote Larry Page in his blogpost announcing all the big changes.

Larry Page and Sergey Brin have been hands-off with Google's day-to-day running for sometime, and so, in Pichai's life, today's announcement is simply making it official: he's in charge.

His remit is best summed up as Google's core products - the bits that make the real money. That includes things like search, advertising, maps and YouTube.

He has challenges to navigate, like YouTube's increasingly intense battle with Facebook in the video space. The social network has dramatically increased the amount of video being watched on its site - but YouTube still holds the title of most popular, for now at least.

Sundar Pichai: Google's new boss from humble roots - BBC News

Wasn't he the CEO @ 2013 ?? I remember he held a very high position in Google few years back :dodgy

PM Narendra Modi congratulates Google CEO Sundar Pichai on Twitter, others join in

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday joined a big Twitter rush to congratulate India born Sundar Pichai on his appointment as the CEO of the newly restructured Google .

Congratulations @sundarpichai. My best wishes for the new role at @google.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 11, 2015

Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad too tweeted his greetings, saying:

“Really proud to note that #India born @sundarpichai has been appointed as CEO of @google ”.

Microsoft Chairman Satya Nadella and Pichai’s former colleague and SoftBank President Nikesh Arora conveyed their best wishes.

Nadella tweeted: “Congrats @sundarpichai, well deserved.”— Satya Nadella (@satyanadella) August 10, 2015

Arora, who was Pichai’s colleague at Google , described the new chief as “a brilliant guy, clear thinker, gets things done and a wonderful person at that”.

In a lighter vein, he tweeted: “Now I feel cheated :).”

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/pm-narendra-modi-congratulates-sundar-pichai-on-twitter-others-join-in/

11802829_944051018988520_1224933764936073391_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock