How to crash Google Chrome with only 16 characters; try it yourself

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
google-chrome-crash-200915.jpg

A recent bug in Google Chrome has been discovered that seems to be crashing the browser on entering a 16-character link in the address bar. You can try it yourself. Fire up your Chrome browser, copy the text within quotes "http://a/%%30%30" and hit enter. It is also claimed that a mere hovering over the 16-character string could also lead Chrome to crash.

This bug was originally reported by Andris Atteka, who in his blog post explains that the Google Chrome browser can be crashed just by adding a null character in the URL string. The link reported by him has 26 characters, but VentureBeat says to have shaved off 10 more characters to come up with an even shorter link that is also capable of tripping up Chrome.

The report from VentureBeat explains it technically, "It seems to be crashing in some very old code. In the Debug build, it’s hitting a DCHECK on an invalid URL in GURL, deep in some History code. Given that it’s hitting a CHECK in the Release build, I don’t think this is actually a security bug, but I’m going to leave it as such."

While this bug is not believed to be a security threat, per se, it could be used to adversely impact Chrome users.

How to crash Google Chrome with only 16 characters; try it yourself - IBNLive

Strange as chrome is not crashing on my PC bcoz of this URL :u

Sarkar said:
Strange as chrome is not crashing on my PC bcoz of this URL :u

but bro it's for me:shy,i have copy & paste that link crash message is displayed;)

Vicky said:
but bro it's for me:shy,i have copy & paste that link crash message is displayed;)
I am getting just blank page.

This is my chrome version : 45.0.2454.93 m (64-bit)

Is it same to you ? :huh

Sarkar said:
I am getting just blank page.

This is my chrome version : 45.0.2454.93 m (64-bit)

Is it same to you ? :huh

Yeah bro same version 45.0.2454.93 m & same 64 bit

Few years ago, Chrome use give this message frequently .....

It's not strange for me ''Chrome crashing'' :em

My chrome always crushes even normal browsing. But im addicted of it because of its duplicate window feature

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock