Heather Knight appointed England Women captain

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Heather Knight has been appointed as captain of England Women following the retirement of Charlotte Edwards.

Knight, the 25-yer-old batter, has played five Tests, 55 One-Day Internationals and 33 Twenty20 Internationals since making her international debut in March 2010, totalling 1791 runs across formats. She also led Hobart Hurricane in last year's Women's Big Bash League and has been named as the captain of Western Storm in this year's inaugural women's Super League in England.
Knight's appointment comes at a crucial time for England with Lydia Greenway also calling it quits recently , and Sarah Taylor, the wicketkeeper-batter, has also taken a break from international cricket due to personal reasons.

Knight admitted that taking over from a player of Edwards's stature would be a challenge but looked forward to an exciting time. “It will be no easy task to follow the remarkable success and impact that Charlotte Edwards enjoyed at the helm of the England team over the last ten years – she has been a wonderful servant to the game, an inspirational leader and truly world-class player,” said Knight after the announcement on Friday (June 3).

“Charlotte is a true cricketing legend and it has been a privilege to share a dressing room with her for the first six years of my England career. But I am excited by the challenge and will look to utilise the incredible platform that she has laid to ensure that the England women’s team continues to grow and develop.”

Mark Robinson, England's head coach, lauded Knight and said her work ethic and commitment were among the reasons for her elevation. “Heather embodies many of the traits needed to be a successful captain – a superb work ethic, integrity and commitment, along with good instincts and cricket intelligence,” he said. “These assets combined with her undoubted ability as a player make her an excellent role model, both for the team and young aspiring cricketers everywhere, and I am looking forward to working with her as we rebuild and move the team forwards together.”

Knight's first assignment in her new role will be England's limited-overs series at home against Pakistan Women later this month.

Heather Knight appointed England Women captain

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock