Guidolin: Arsenal as strong without Cesc

• Thread starter BaLaG
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,142

BaLaG

Reaction score
Udinese coach Francesco Guidolin maintains Arsenal will be just as strong despite the sale of Cesc Fabregas and suspension of Robin van Persie and Samir Nasri.

The Gunners will head into what could be a season-defining tie only 24 hours after Fabregas' £35million move back to Barcelona was completed.

Wenger will be serving a one-match touchline ban at Emirates Stadium in Tuesday's night's Champions League play-off first leg against Udinese which was imposed by UEFA following the fall-out from Arsenal's Champions League exit away to Barcelona last season, where Swiss referee Massimo Busacca had controversially dismissed Van Persie and came in for heavy post-match criticism from both the Arsenal manager and Nasri.

With France international Nasri yet to agree a new deal and earlier on Monday using Twitter to label fans "disrespectful" after abusive chants from the away end at St James Park on Saturday, it could be suggested there was no better time to be playing Arsenal.

Guidolin, though, insisted: "This will not change much for us. Any Arsenal team will be full of quality.

"Yes, they will be without some very important players, but there are also others who are just as good.

"We know it is going to be difficult, but we will try."

Guidolin added: "I consider Arsenal one of the best teams and they have a lot of great players.

"I do not know if it is a good moment to play them, it depends what we can do tomorrow.

"I just have to look at our team, and cannot worry about the situation of Arsenal.

"I know they can cause problems to any team in the world.

"Arsene Wenger has achieved fantastic results, they are always in the Champions League and have reached the top four of the English Premier League, which is not easy at all."

Guidolin admitted he would rather have avoided the Gunners, who have a 100% record in coming through their Champions League qualifying ties.

"If it were up to me, I would have chosen another team, but I cannot influence the draw," he said.

"Because it is the Champions League, this if probably the most important match in Udinese's history."

Like Arsenal, the Italians saw one of their key men join Barcelona this summer in Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez.

The manner of Barcelona's public pursuit of Fabregas left a lot to be desired.

Guidolin, though, maintained there had been no such issues of the departure of Sanchez.

"I am disappointed not to still be managing the player, but I am happy Sanchez went to a great club like Barcelona," he said.

"I was confident he would have done well with another season for us in Udinese.

"We knew the player wanted to go to play for a team at another level, and there were no problems with the negotiations.

Captain Antonio Di Natale scored 28 goals in Serie A to help Udinese finish fourth.

The veteran Italy forward, 33, is relishing taking on the Gunners.

He said: "We have come here to give everything and try to bring a result back to the Stadio Friuli.

"If we can snatch a good result, we will have a great chance at home."

Read more...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock