Google acquires Pixel team from HTC

Reaction score
With news filling the air of Google actually making the leap to purchase HTC, I’m left with a sense of nostalgia I haven’t felt since Googorola hit the scene. It’s no secret that Google has been using HTC for a while now to produce its first generation Pixel and Pixel XLhandsets, but if Google actually moves in to acquire the company, this could be a whole new ball game.

I hope Google can do to HTC what they did to Motorola

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems HTC is in "final stage of negotiation" with Google regarding a sale of its smartphone business. According to Chinese-language publication Commercial Times, Google is considering two separate options: either becoming a strategic partner, or outright buying the entire smartphone unit. However, HTC's Vive is off the table, and will remain separate from the search giant.

Report: HTC and Google "in final stage of negotiation" regarding sale of smartphone business

This is standard Google bailout program for Android manufacturers. Last time they purchased Motorola for $12.5 Billion and sold it few years later to Lenovo for $2.9 Billion. Only reason they do this is to ensure quality companies keep making Android phones and to keep the Android ecosystem in high gear. A few collaborations may happen but nothing to get excited about. Motorola-Google Project Ara phone did not even hit the market. Ultimately when HTC becomes popular again Google will sell it to some Chinese firm. HTC patents will then be distributed to all Android manufacturers.

Last edited:
Why do they want HTC now? They took Motorola & sold it off

There is no smoke without fire, as they say, and the smoke around HTC’s rumored “strategic options” is only getting thicker.

According to Taiwanese publication Commercial Times (cited by Digitimes, via Phone Arena), the embattled manufacturer is in advanced talks with Google for a potential sale or strategic investment.

Specifically, the report claims HTC wants to sell its rapidly deteriorating smartphone business, but not its Vive VR business. Talks between HTC and Google are said to be in the “final stage of negotiation” and a final decision could be made by the end of the year.

More: Google and HTC said to be in "final stage" of negotiation for sale or investment

I wish to see Google owning one handset manufacturing company, Moto used to be great when it was with Google.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock