Former cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar is all set to make his singing debut

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Not many people know that Sanjay Manjrekar can sing well too. Sanjay, who is now a famous cricket commentator, had played internationally for the Indian cricket team for almost a decade.
Taking on a new journey altogether, Sanjay, who is an ardent fan of Kishore Kumar, has been practicing his singing skills for a few years now.

The former Ranji Trophy player took to his Twitter account to break the news to his 808k followers: "One of the happiest days of my life. A dream fulfilled. To sing Rabindra sangeet in Bengali. Put in the hours ( years) before recording it.(sic)"

Manjrekar has been recording an album on Tagore songs in Kolkata. He told One India, "This is the first time I have started this innings. I used to sing songs regularly during my playing days whenever I used to get time in between the matches.

Former cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar is all set to make his singing debut

Former India batsman Sanjay Manjrekar comes out with Rabindra Sangeet album

International cricketer turned TV commentator Sanjay Manjrekar on Tuesday launched his first music album - six popular Rabindra Sangeet numbers - saying he was inspired by late singer Kishroe Kumar`s rendering of the immortal songs which put him "in a state of bliss".

Manjrekar, known for his pursuit of technical perfection as a batsman, took guidance from Rabindra Sangeet exponent Sraboni Sen for recording the album "Amar Bela Je Jay" brought out by Picasso Entertainment.

Launched by Manjrekar`s former India teammate Sourav Ganguly at the Eden Gardens, the album contains popular Rabindranath Tagore compositions "Ektuku Chhoan Lage", "Jodi Tor Daak Shune", "Ami Chini Go Chini", "Mayabonobiharini Horini", "Pagla Hawar Badoldine" and the title track "Amar Bela Je Jay".

"I don`t know Bengali. I have learnt these songs by listening to cassettes and CDs of Kishore Kumar, who is my favourite singer," Manjrekar told the media.

The right-hand batsman, who played 37 Test matches and 74 One Day Internationals for India between 1987 and 1996, said he fell in love with Rabindra Sangeet and listened to these songs again and again.

"I worship Kishore Kumar and his songs which got me introduced to the beautiful Bengali songs that he has sung over the years. heard Kishore Kumar`s rendition of Rabindra Sangeet and fell in love with it.

"Listening to and singing Rabindra Sangeet puts me into a state of bliss, away from the maddening world into a state of calm and harmony. I hope I have been able to do justice to the songs and expect the listeners to appreciate them," said Manjrekar.

Even during his playing years, Manjrekar often regaled his team members with flawless renditions of Rabindra Sangeet.

Later, as a commentator also, he would often come up to the media box to entertain Bengali scribes with Tagore songs.

Former India batsman Sanjay Manjrekar comes out with Rabindra Sangeet album | Zee News

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock