Explanation: Why do you get bad speeds on Jio

• Thread starter PRK
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 23
  • Views: Views 2,645

PRK

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I have seen a lot of people saying that they get very low speeds on Jio. They might be wondering why is everyone getting high speeds on Jio, whereas I am getting very low speeds. So, let me explain and clear your doubts.

One obvious reason for low speed is that the network is bad in your area or it is very congested due to very high number of users.
BUT, many of the users are facing low speeds not due to the above reason. There is another major reason to it. So let's look at it.

Jio works on three different 4G LTE bands: Band 3 (1800MHz), Band 5 (850MHz) & Band 40 (2300MHz).
So, if any of the above bands is not compatible with your phone, you are bound to get speed & coverage issues.
So, please check the specifications of your phone & compatible 4G LTE bands part in it.
If any one of the above 3 bands is not present in the specifications, then it explains your problem. You are not getting proper network coverage & speed because your phone does not support the band which has better range in that location.
(From my observations & reading, speeds are lowest on the Band 3, good on Band 5 & highest on Band 40.)
Also, there is another issue in many 4G phones which support 2 bands only, that is of switching between the bands. Many times, the phone would not switch to the high-speed band i.e. Band 40 leaving the user with low speeds.

I am writing this thread because many phones which came earlier are missing one of the above 3 bands. Even best sellers from Xiaomi don't have Band 5 compatibility (Eg. All Redmi series phones launched before & including Redmi 3, Redmi Note series phones launched before & including Redmi Note 2, etc). There will be many phones from other brands which will have this compatibility issue. So, do check.

Also, this thread will be a buying guide for new 4G phone buyers to check whether the above bands are available on the new phones they are buying. Generally, everyone is including all 3 bands in new phones, but you better check.

Thanks,
Prathamesh

Long article :s

True that band 40 has poor indoor coverage but for that Band 3 is there. Most 2G are running on band 3 is having great indoor coverage. And overall 5G is going to be 3 Ghz + freq. So if Jio is touting themselves as 5G ready network then they should have coverage of band 40 indoor

Sarkar said:
True that band 40 has poor indoor coverage but for that Band 3 is there. Most 2G are running on band 3 is having great indoor coverage. And overall 5G is going to be 3 Ghz + freq. So if Jio is touting themselves as 5G ready network then they should have coverage of band 40 indoor

True. Let's see what all they are going to do. They are also looking at LTE-U (unlicensed). Not sure whether it will be allowed & work well.

Prathamesh said:
True. Let's see what all they are going to do. They are also looking at LTE-U (unlicensed). Not sure whether it will be allowed & work well.

Point is Huge mobile tower with height of 15-20 storied building for whole area is gone . Now every operators need to focus on micro cell deployment without this your network cannot be future proof as with every higher generation freq will rise and wave length will decrease from cm to mm and even micro meter. So indoor penetration issue will rise only. 

For this thread, As Band 5 is not meant for speed, Band 3 and 40 are specially for that(that's why operators have 20 Mhz each in these bands) so I don't see how band 5 compatibility phone will give you good speed :u

Sarkar said:
I don't see how band 3 compatibility phone will give you good speed :u

Do you want to say Band 5? Band 5 is the one missing on those phones.
I get 12-13Mbps on Band 5 here many times. But Band 3 is always very low: less than 2Mbps.

Prathamesh said:
Do you want to say Band 5? Band 5 is the one missing on those phones.
I get 12-13Mbps on Band 5 here many times. But Band 3 is always very low: less than 2Mbps.

Yep that's a typo mistake  :shy

That's the point. Why do we need 4G on band 5 which gives 10-15  Mbps as 3G can give you same speed ?
Now Jio don't hv 3G infra so they use Band 5 but for incumbents these bands are useless as they can give better speed on 3G.

Band 3 is slow whereas Band 5 speed is high bcoz not many users are on Band 5.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock