• Welcome to OnlyTech community forums. If you are an existing member of our DreamDTH forums, please use the same login credentials to login here. Create a new account only if you are not registered at DreamDTH before. If you have trouble logging in, please let us know through the contact form.

Discussion Clipboard snooping by various apps

Siva

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We have read several reports about more than 53 apps including Tiktok, LinkedIn and Reddit were caught reading users' clipboard data without any permission whatsoever. Thanks to iOS 14, this has been made possible by the latest privacy features on it.

I have personally updated my mobile to iOS 14 public beta 3 and have seen this feature in action. While the notification on the top saying "xxxx pasted from xxxx" every time you use the clipboard to paste something is a little annoying, it really is useful to identify the unauthorized paste of the copied content.

I was shocked to find today that the Outlook app, which I use for my Work email is also snooping the clipboard. I tested it multiple times to see if that was just a one-off case. But no, it was doing this every time I open the app after copying any text. I wonder why this is required. If it's for email writing, why can't they paste it after we click the "Paste"! See below screenshots.

I think these apps should stop doing this at least after being exposed so badly. I'm sure a similar thing is happening on Android. What I don't really know is if Google would be willing to implement something like this, as they themselves are accused of snooping/tracking the users' data heavily! Share your thoughts on this topic here.

mmadhankumar

Origin is the End
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes it happens on Android as well. If it's happening on strict and secure iOS, why wouldn't on Android. If i copy a link from a file/app and open a browser, that link will be already sitting in the address bar. In another browser, when I click on address bar this link will appear below the bar with the tag "copied link". They all do this thinking as if they are doing a favor. Not to mention Google's Gboard stores everything you copy in every app on their clipboard for 1 hour. 😒

thisisjagan

Guru
Reaction score
When you copy a phone number, True caller fetches that and identifies it. Privacy is not something we have control anymore.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DJ Roy Apps including the likes of PUBG and TikTok are snooping on iOS user's clipboard Apps & Websites 1
Bapun Raz Reddit caught capturing text from the clipboard after TikTok Science & Technology 0
R Microsoft Hub Keyboard with clipboard and shortcut tools arrives for iPhone Mobiles & Accessories 0
S India ranks third in snooping through Google Computers & Hardware 0
J Study: Web users worry about snooping businesses ! Computers & Hardware 0
Sam7795 Good News Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) allows movement of migrant workers, tourists, students etc. stranded at various places. General Topics 2
mmadhankumar OTF Exclusive Subscription details of various Audio Streaming Apps & Services OTT Services & Gadgets 43
mmadhankumar OTF Exclusive Subscription details of various Video Streaming Apps & Services OTT Services & Gadgets 39
H April Fools' Day Prank by various companies General Topics 30
Gobinaath Good News No Deadline For Aadhaar Linking to Various Services till Further Order - Supreme Court of India General Topics 37
S Discussion General Discussions About Various Useful Apps Apps & Websites 231
T Namami Brahmaputra festival theme song feat Papon, Big B and various artists released General Topics 1
R BSNL offers unlimited internet to various MHA security agencies via satellite phone Telecom Services 0
S pics : SL vs SA on various channels Cricket 3
S ( pics ) Big Bash league on various channels Sports 3
R Google Play Reportedly Testing 'Feature Ratings' for Various Aspects of Games Mobiles & Accessories 0
R Amazon India and Flipkart Sales Offer Deals on Various Appliances Mobiles & Accessories 0
T Essel registers various entities, rebel league to unfold soon? Sports 1
D CBFC has powers to issue multiple certificates on various versions of films General Topics 0
A Pics:Fifa World cup telecast on various channels Football 13
P Typical responses by fans to various types of Indian victories Cricket 0
mmadhankumar Reliance offers iPhone 5 in India with various post-paid plans Mobiles & Accessories 1
R Channels broadcasting Cricket matches of various boards/leagues in India Cricket 17
mmadhankumar HP unveils first NFC-enabled mouse, various other PC accessories Computers & Hardware 0
V Various Modem Driver Telecom Services 2