Cech backing Villas-Boas

Reaction score
Chelsea's Petr Cech has welcomed the appointment of Andre Villas-Boas and thinks he will be a resounding success.

The Blues have turned to the 33-year-old Portuguese after ending the 2010/11 campaign empty-handed.

A lack of silverware cost Carlo Ancelotti his job, with owner Roman Abramovich not a man to tolerate failure.

Villas-Boas arrives at Stamford Bridge with a reputation as the most promising young coach in European football, having made his name with Porto.

The similarities to former Blues boss Jose Mourinho are there for all to see, with the now Real Madrid manager having helped to turn Chelsea's fortunes around during his time at the club.
Villas-Boas, who worked under Mourinho during his time in England, is now expected to follow the lead of his former mentor, and Cech is confident he can do just that.

He said: "Since he started coaching as a manager by himself, everything he has done has been a big success so I believe he is a great choice and I hope that he is going to prove this on the pitch.

"He has got the pedigree and he has got the experience of being at the club, many years ago. He knows what it means to be at Chelsea and to be in the Premier League.

"The club has changed since he left and he's changed since he left, but I think he can be a big advantage and I'm pleased because he is a new manager who is young and ambitious and I hope he will bring success to us."

By taking the reins at Stamford Bridge, the 33-year-old Villas-Boas becomes the youngest manager in the Barclays Premier League.

Some believe his lack of experience at the highest level will count against him and Chelsea, but Cech does not buy into that way of thinking.

The Czech goalkeeper added: "You don't measure people by age, but by quality. If you are 16 years of age at Chelsea and you are good enough, you will play. If you are 18 years old and you are not good enough, you don't play.

"I think it's the same with the managers. If you are 18 and capable of being a manager of a big club, the age will not stop you doing so. If you are 33 managing a top club, age shouldn't limit you. I believe it will not be a limit."

Follow Chelsea in the run up to the Barclays Asia Trophy in Hong Kong this July on the official tournament page www.facebook.com/BarclaysAsiaTrophy.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2385445,00.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock