Bharat bandh hits normal life

iS THAT ME

Reaction score
The 12-hour bandh called by NDA and Left parties to protest the steep hike in fuel prices today disrupted normal life across the country.

Opposition parties have planned a national strike today in protest against the steepest petrol price rise in India's history, seeking to exploit popular anger with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's embattled coalition government.

Protests, marches and road blocks were planned across the country. The strike could reduce public transport and hit government offices, colleges, firms and industrial plants, but because it is not centrally organised its impact will differ from state to state.

"It will be a total shutdown across the country. It will be the biggest democratic protest the country has seen in a long time," said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Prakash Javdekar.

Strike calls in India have had mixed results in the past, and it was not clear how many people would respond on the day. A strong turnout could indicate popular dissatisfaction with Dr Singh's two-term, Congress Party-led government.

The day of action - or "bandh" - called by the BJP and smaller left-wing parties is not a threat to the survival of Dr Singh's government, but it does underscore the difficulty he faces trying to implement unpopular economic reforms.

The backlash over the petrol price increase has already unnerved the government, prompting it to drop any immediate plans to raise the price of heavily subsidised diesel and kerosene, a move investors have been pushing for to narrow the budget deficit.

The coalition, weakened by a string of corruption scandals and infighting that has stymied reforms, faces mounting criticism over its management of the economy.

Investors and economists cheered its decision last week to allow state-controlled oil companies to increase petrol prices for the first time in six months, enabling them to recover some of the losses they had racked up due to higher oil prices and a plunging rupee.

But the roughly 11 per cent increase sparked public protests and some of the Congress party's coalition partners have tried to distance themselves from the decision.

Congress's second-biggest ally in Parliament, the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), briefly threatened to quit the government yesterday if the increase was not trimmed, showing why decision-making is so hard in New Delhi.

Live Updates here :
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bharat-bandh-hits-normal-life/liveblog/13683185.cms

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/gallery/bharat-bandh-hits-life-across-india/1/3397.html

mystic said:
How many members support Baharat Bandh... :huh
Ofcourse, its our right to strike and oppose the decisions, but I do not support this !

Because no matter how many strikes happen, fuel prices wont be reasonable ever again :(

I support... All shops are closed here, no vehicles on the road... ;)

I do not support the way political party pressurize & make violence in support of Baharat bandh.
They should do all this strike in a peaceful way. :huh

:wall

mystic said:
I do not support the way political party pressurize & make violence in support of Baharat bandh.
They should do all this strike in a peaceful way. :huh

:wall
The thing is, there hasnt been any successful protest in India without political interference !
Without political involvement, police usually cracks down on common people. But in case of powerful politicians supporting it, police stands guard of the protesters...
Its like, Peaceful strike has no valuee these days...

Still, since a whole day's economy is ruined, I just hope we get the rumored partial rollback ASAP !

who give them right to close shops? my freind earn daily and because silly parties so called bandh he is money less today.:( does bjp give money for today loss? does this bandh will ensure price drop?

who give them authority to close india?

beware with bjp and other parties! they are doing this for them only not for us! they said they are doing for us but they badly hit our life

They are blocking trains, throwing stones on buses. Several people are threaten & specially women and children who are returning from vacation tour are in great danger & fear.
These political party memebers just think for their own growth , they never think for country & all coutrymen.
Thats why the common people never participate in such bandh.
We all janta know how corrupt these politicain now.

I heard that Kerala is excluded from today's Bharat Bandh as Keralites celebrated the Bandth on the next day itself after the announcement of the price hike.

Normal life in kerala is not affected. Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock