Away wins high on my agenda: Steven Smith

Chinmay Kore

Banned
Reaction score
Australia's newly-appointed skipper Steven Smith has already set sights on what he wants to achieve as the leader of his side. Following their capitulation in the ongoing Ashes series, the Aussie skipper, who takes over from the retiring Michael Clarke, has stressed on the importance of winning Tests away from home. Australia begin life under Smith with a tour of Bangladesh and the young skipper hopes to prove a point by adapting well and winning regardless of the conditions they play in.
"I guess the first aim for our team from this point, following on from the disappointment of this Ashes campaign, is to win more Test series away from home. That is something that's very high on my agenda, and something that we probably haven't done as well and as regularly as we would have liked over recent times. Given that the first Test tour after Michael's final match at The Oval next week will be to Bangladesh, we have a chance to show that we can change that pattern by making sure we adapt to the different conditions that we encounter around the world. And that we play a brand of cricket that's going to bring us success, regardless of where matches are held. There's no denying this has been a disappointing tour of the UK for all of us, and for our supporters," Smith wrote in his column for cricket.com.au.
Smith was also quick to point out that all the energies will first be directed towards the fifth and the final Ashes Test, starting next Thursday. With the series already conceded, Australia will look to play for pride and give their outgoing skipper a fitting farewell with a victory. Clarke's CV will not have a highly-coveted Ashes series win in England, but the current skipper will walk away from international cricket with over 8,000 Test runs and a World Cup title to his name.
"Our immediate focus is the fifth and final Test at The Oval starting next Thursday, which is hugely important for all of us for a number of reasons. Not least of all because its Michael's final Test, and he deserves to go out on a winning note. He has been a terrific player for our country over a long period time as well as a great captain and it would be fitting to send him off with a victory, so hopefully we can do that next week," Smith wrote.
Clarke's exit and the farewell in the final Ashes Test will give way for a new era of Australian cricket and Smith reckons he is excited about the chance to lead the team into it. Smith, who has easily been one of the best batsmen in the world in the last couple of years, suggests he is ready to take the next step and shoulder the responsibility of leading the side. Smith also said he was looking forward to form an 'exciting partnership' with his deputy David Warner.
"I'm just really excited about the opportunity to be able to lead this team forward into what we all hope will be a successful new era for Australian cricket. It will also be great to have the support of David Warner as my vice-captain. I'm looking forward to working with him, we've known each other for a long time and its going to be exciting to form a partnership with him and to lead this team together. Even though people have been speculating about me and the captaincy for a while, the transition has come along much sooner than I was expecting due to Michael Clarke's announcement last week. But having said that, I certainly feel ready to take on the job now that the opportunity has come along," Smith wrote.
WWW.Crickbuzz.com

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock