ASUS unveils Chromebox desktop for $179

Reaction score
ASUS unveils Chromebox desktop for $179

GmyTRRW.jpg

ASUS presents a new Chromebox desktop PC for just $179. The desktop runs Chrome OS and features an Intel Haswell Celeron processor.

ASUS introduced a new Chromebox desktop PC for just $179. The mini desktop runs Google's Chrome OS and sports an Intel Haswell Celeron processor.

Another model of the Chromebox features a Core i3 processor instead.

The Chromebox is intended to be a low-cost alternative to Windows desktop PCs and is aimed at customers who want a strong machine for home, school and office use.

The new Chromebox from ASUS certainly fits the bill with its super-low price tag of $179. In fact, most Windows laptops cost more than this Chromebox and don't have half the power.

The ASUS Chromebox is powered by your choice of a fourth-generation, Haswell-based Intel Celeron 2955U or the more powerful Core i3 processor. The Chromebox also has 2 GB and 4 GB options of DDR3 memory.

The desktop PC comes with integrated Intel HD graphics, too. The Chromebox packs 16 GB SSD for local storage as well as 100 GB of Google Drive cloud memory free for two years.

In terms of connectivity, the Chromebox has Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Gigabit Ethernet.

The desktop also comes with an HDMI port, a display port, four USB 3.0 ports, a media card reader slot and a Kensington lock port.

Amazingly, the ASUS Chromebox measures only 4.88 x 4.88 x 1.65-inches, so it can fit pretty much anywhere.

The Core i3 version of the Chromebox can support 4K displays and run two displays at the same time.

The Intel Celeron-based Chromebox can run two displays simultaneously as well, but it can't handle 4K displays.

Since both models run Chrome OS, they will update their software via the Internet and allow nearly effortless connection with all of Google's apps and services.

The Chromebox is a stationary desktop with a mobile OS, making it the best of both worlds, according to Google.

"The Asus Chromebox offers the simplicity, security, and speed of Chrome OS in the most compact and powerful Chrome device to date," said Felix Lin, director of product management at Google. "Perfect for home, the classroom or the office, Chromebox is designed for the way we use computers today."

Both versions of the ASUS Chromebox will be available in March. The Intel Celeron model will cost $179. ASUS has yet to announce the pricing for the Core i3 model.

ASUS unveils Chromebox desktop for 9 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock