Amazon sells 15 mn units in 5-day sale, claims market leadership

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Amazon subscription based loyalty programme Prime drove a third of all orders on its platform, its highest sales so far in India, during its five day long festive season sale which concluded on Wednesday.

The US-based e-tailer shipped over 15 million items to customers across the country and got tens of thousands of users to pay Rs 499 for its Prime membership. Overall, more customers bought Amazon's Prime subscription than the best-selling smartphone on the platform
Amazon in the US counts nearly half of all households as Prime Customers, who spend nearly double ($ 1200) than regular users to buy goods on its platform.

"In the little over three years that we've been in India, we've probably created the fastest ramp up for e-commerce in this ecosystem. This Diwali (sale) was three times bigger than last Diwali. This year we've been growing at 150 per cent year-over-year even though the landscape was flat and Diwali saw an even bigger acceleration," said Amit Agarwal, Vice President and Country Manager of Amazon India.

Over the past week, Amazon and local leader Flipkart have been competing to garner higher share of the customer wallet, offering them value through discounts, better product quality and faster delivery. Flipkart and its smaller rival Snapdeal close their five day sale on Thursday. The sale is expected to garner $ 1.5 billion in sales across all e-commerce platforms.

In terms of reach, Amazon said it was able to bring five times as many new customers onboard during this year's sale when compared to last year. Moreover, over 70 per cent of all new customers came from tier II towns and below, allowing the company to receive orders from 90 per cent of all registered Pincodes in the country.

"I've been saying that we've been leaders in India for a while in terms of parameters that customers care about. I don't have any benchmark with other players in terms of sales, but with 150 per cent growth all through the year and a three times jump in Diwali sales, I would not be surprised if we are the leader," added Agarwal.

Electronics, Fashion and FMCG continued to be the biggest three categories for Amazon during the sale. The company however said it saw growth across all its categories, a healthy sign for India's e-commerce segment.

"Our vision in India is to transform the way the country buys and sells. When I see 90 per cent of all Pincodes shopping on Amazon, it gives me a lot of satisfaction that we are making a small step forward in that direction. We will invest whatever it is and aggressively for many many years to ensure that we fulfil our vision," said Agarwal.

Amazon sells 15 mn units in 5-day sale, claims market leadership | Business Standard

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock