Amazon Prime Video, ZEE5 in talks for a platform deal

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 13
  • Views: Views 2,451

Basil

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon Prime Video and ZEE5, the over-the-top (OTT) service from Zee Entertainment Enterprises (ZEE), are in talks for a partnership, two people with direct knowledge of the development said, in what could be a first of its kind deal in the Indian OTT landscape.

“The two are currently negotiating a platform deal. It may take a month for both the parties to reach an agreement. The discussions are currently around structure of the deal and different models are being explored,” one of the people said.

Amazon Prime Video, ZEE5 in talks for a platform deal - ETtech

Where Amazon lakhs on original content. Zee5 makes up for it.

I think amazon wants to enter the market with live tv content, and this might be a good opportunity for them to start off.

Cons Of Amazon Prime
  • It lacks Indian content. Though they have excellent movie line-up but again don't have serials like hotstar
  • It doesn't have Live TV
Pros Of Amazon Prime
  • Good International content.
  • Has a stable video viewing platform which also feels premium
Cons Of ZEE5
  • It Lacks International content. There aren't many international popular movies/ Shows
  • Doesn't Have Stable Platform- Even it's been a year since it's launch. They don't have a stable platform. I get irritated while using ZEE5
  • Quality Of original shows- ZEE5 Has few good originals. Quantity wise they are the largest online platform producing original shows But Quality wise they lack in comparison to NetFlix, amazon.
Pros Of ZEE5
  • It has good content(both movies & shows) across all 12 major Indian languages
  • It has Live Tv

So, wherever amazon lacks, ZEE5 has benefit & wherever ZEE5 lacks amazon has benefits. The deal would be a win-win situation for both companies & mainly to viewers.

Amazon prime's movie library becomes large by integrating movies from Zee5. Already they picked up numerous titles which Star, Sun etc acquired the satellite rights. Live TV will not be much beneficial but it can be stated as a feature.

Live TV will not be much beneficial, but it can be stated as a feature.
I agree that it can ths would be an additional good feature aside than the movie.
The feature isn't even beneficial for ZEE5 right now. Very few people use it. Even many ZEE HD channels aren't available over there.
But if this deal happens amazon will ask ZEE to provide all channels live.

I agree that it can ths would be an additional good feature aside than the movie.
The feature isn't even beneficial for ZEE5 right now. Very few people use it. Even many ZEE HD channels aren't available over there.
IMO they should feature HD channels only where user can downgrade video quality according to their usage. Instead of wasting bandwidth by having both SD and HD feed.

I think they have plans for live tv, the firestick earlier firmware had livetv tab, which is now no longer visible after the upgrade, i guess they added for testing and now have disabled it, may be once they crack the deal with Zee5 they would enable it again.

Live streaming/Live TV fruits only if there is sports contents like Hotstar. There are very few people who make use of online streaming apps for live TV. It is better to use specific live tv apps, ie instead of Zee5 people prefer Jio TV, Airtel TV etc for watching live TV. Atleast Star will get some numbers as their channels are exclusive to Hotstar. So live tv is not a hard deal and Amazon can easily get it from Zee.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock