Airtel Fair Usage Policy Information

sunveer

Reaction score
** To check the validity of the post, please visit this LINK **

What is Fair Usage Policy? Why do I have to put up with it?

Fair Usage Policy (also known as Fair Access Policy or Bandwidth Cap) is implemented by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) world over. A small number of customers use an excessive amount of the network bandwidth and impairs the experience of a large majority.

Through this policy, ISPs seek to address this imbalance and give all users the opportunity to experience the network in the same way.

Why is an airtel subscriber being singled out for this policy?

FUP has been a practice adopted by ISPs since the 1990s and is applicable in countries across North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. In India, FUP has been implemented by many ISPs.

How does airtel implement this policy?

airtel sets a monthly data transfer limit, this is different for different plans. Once you reach your data transfer limit, your speed will reduce as stated in your plan. Of course, at the start of your next monthly billing cycle, your monthly speed/ download limit will be reset.

Also during the month, you can continue to download all you want, there are no additional data transfer caps set by airtel. Downloads continue to be unlimited as they always were.

How will I know when I have cross my download limits?

We will send you an email/sms when you reach 80% of your plan’s data transfer limit and again when you reach 100%. A majority of the users do not exceed the download limits as set in their plans and should not expect to receive such alerts as a norm.

My speed has recently doubled? Are there any extra charges?

If you were an airtel subscriber on with a data plan of upto 2 Mbps, you will find that airtel upgraded your speed at no extra cost. Download limits were set based on your existing plan. When you cross your data transfer limit, your speed will reduce to the level you were on prior to the upgrade.
A quick synopsis of Speed Upgrade program:
  • All customers to get a minimum speed of 512 Kbps
  • Customers on 512 Kbps were upgrapxded to 1 Mbps for the first 25 GBs of usage.
  • Customers on 1 Mbps were upgraded to 2 Mbps for the first 30 GBs of usage
  • Once you reach FUP levels, your broadband speed goes back to your original pre-upgraded speed. Also, there is no further data transfer limits. Your data transfer continues to be unlimited as it always was.

Is there FUP on all broadband plans?

FUP is applicable on all unlimited data transfer plans. The data transfer continues to be unlimited, albeit at reduced speeds after FUP. Like mentioned before, FUP limits are imposed to ensure that the best quality of broadband is available to the maximum number of internet users.

If you want to know your FUP limits, please call 121. To see the details of our current offerings, click here and select your region.

I want very high download limits. It this possible with airtel?

We have plans to suit the needs of all customers. Our plans start from download limit of 8 GB (@ 512 kbps) to 150 GB @ 2 mbps. Choose the plan that best fits you. A quick look at plans with a download limit of 150 GB (offered under the business plans). For more details on these plans, click here

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock