Breaking Airtel became First Indian Teleco to Shut Down 3G Network

Abhinav

Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Bharti Airtel said switched off its 3G network in Kolkata and has refarmed the 900 MHz band spectrum to further strengthen its 4G network. This is one of the first phase-outs of 3G technology globally.

Airtel will continue to provide 2G services. 3G customers who are yet to upgrade their handsets/SIMs will continue to get access to high-quality voice services.

Airtel becomes first telco to shut down 3G network - ET Telecom

As consumers point of view they must keep 3g alive and shut 2g which is as good as nothing for Internet browsing,
Even BSNL is planning to do same or even did in areas where 4g network deployed officially.

As consumers point of view they must keep 3g alive and shut 2g which is as good as nothing for Internet browsing,
Even BSNL is planning to do same or even did in areas where 4g network deployed officially.
Shutting down 2G will be foolish decision. Airtel has many old Customers who still use feature phones.

3g still working for me

Edit: I saw this is Kolkata only. My bad.

2G spectrum is less costly and serves basic needs of customers, remember many cannot afford paying high amount for 4G packs.

3G subscribers can easily be migrated to 4G without feeling much pinch and improve overall experience. Airtel has made huge investment in 4G hence it makes sense to do this, 3G is just wastage of money without any major advantage to company or subscribers. Airtel will free the 3G spectrum and put these funds for enhancing other things or provide better plans.

This shift was happening /is happening since last 2 years and all part of their strategy to optimise use of assets

My mom n my aunt use feature phone with airtel 2g sim.

I'm hoping Airtel 3G would be shut down pan India by December this year and they will only operate 2G and 4G networks. 2G would probably be switched off only in 2025.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock