AB de Villiers's Test future undecided

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
AB de Villiers' future in the Test game has come back into the spotlight after South Africa's captain Faf du Plessis and coach Russell Domingo suggested that the batsman's return could not be taken for granted. De Villiers committed himself to Test cricket when he was appointed captain last January, but an elbow injury has kept him out of the game since June and last month he relinquished the post.

It had been assumed that de Villiers would return to the Test side for South Africa's tour of New Zealand now that he has successfully recovered from elbow surgery, but du Plessis said that was not a given.

"I'm not sure how AB will feel in terms of Test cricket so we will have to see," du Plessis said. "We are excited to have him back in the one-day team. I am hoping he decides to play (Tests) for us. He is obviously a world-class batter and as a captain I would love to have him as a leader in our team, and obviously as a batter. He is a fantastic player."

Last summer, in the middle of South Africa's home series against England, a report claimed that de Villiers was considering his Test future. Although he was named captain after Hashim Amla stepped down from the post, de Villiers left his future up in the air at first press conference. "For two or three years I've been searching for the right answers, to play a little bit less cricket in one way or another, to keep myself fresh and to keep enjoying the game," he said. "Every now and then in the past few years I've found myself on the pitch not enjoying myself as much as I should be, and that raises concerns within myself. I've been speaking to people and obviously that's leaked a bit."

Despite being close friends for more than a decade, du Plessis said that he had not spoken to de Villiers recently about how he felt about Test cricket. "He hasn't played for a while. The plan was for him to play in this series and then the one-dayers start but now we will see what AB's plans are - whether he wants to play," du Plessis said.

Domingo had previously suggested that he expected de Villiers to return to the Test side, mentioning that "someone will have to make way", and the fact that he no longer seems sure will raise concerns for the Proteas as well as for Test cricket. The management team will meet with de Villiers during the one-day series against Sri Lanka, when de Villiers will captain South Africa, to discuss his future.

"We need to sit down with him and plan his future. AB has got to make that decision, I can't decide on whether he plays or not," Domingo said. "When I say that, I mean AB has got to make the decision about whether he is available and the selectors have got to make the decision whether he plays. He has obviously got to make some decision about his future in cricket."

A Cricket South Africa spokesman confirmed that de Villiers's recovery remains on track, and he will play a 50-over match for Northerns next Sunday (January 22). Should he come through that match, he could play the third Twenty20 international against Sri Lanka at Newlands three days later, giving him some game time before he resumes the captaincy in the five-match one-day series.

However Morne Morkel, who was also slated to play in the game for Northerns, will need to be reassessed before his availability is confirmed after his back injury showed adverse symptoms again this week.

AB de Villiers's Test future undecided - Cricbuzz

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock