75-year-old Sharad Pawar to step down as MCA president

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Veteran politician Sharad Pawar on Sunday has announced he will step down as the president of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA).

Speaking to reporters after a managing committee meeting of the MCA , Pawar said the decision is in light of the Justice Lodha Committee recommendation.

'I will be the happiest man to retire. The managing committee has decided unanimously to accept the Supreme Court verdict,' Pawar said. 'The Lodha recommendations state that no person can be part of the association who has completed nine years or who is over 70. I fall in both categories,' the 75-year-old Pawar added.

'I respect the judiciary and will be happy and contended to retire from cricket administration. As you know during my time in the BCCI (as its president) and MCA, several things have been accomplished in support of cricket.'

Pawar served as the chairman of BCCI from 2005 to 2008 and as the president of the International Cricket Council (ICC) from 2010 to 2012. The 2011 Cricket World Cup in India was held during his tenure as head of ICC.

The Supreme Court has given BCCI and the state associations a period of six months to implement all recommendations of the Lodha committee.

Pawar added that the MCA will change the constitution to suit the recommendations. 'We have been given time of six months. I will stay till we complete the transition. We can see a change even earlier if we complete all formalities before time,' he said.

'Now we will first redraw the constitution, get the draft approved by the managing committee before calling a Special General Meeting to get the amended constitution passed. We have six months' time,' Pawar added.

http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/sport...p-down-as-mca-president/ar-BBuKllu?srcref=rss

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock