4 possible contenders for BCCI President's role following Manohar's resignation

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 465

Basil

Staff member
Reaction score
Ever since the speculations of Shashank Manohar retiring from the post of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President started doing rounds, many probable names have surfaced to give a strong competition for the powerful post.

Manohar, who took over the post of President of BCCI post the sudden demise of then in-power Jagmohan Dalmia with unanimous decision, is rumored to quit the post anytime soon and now, BCCI insiders are speculating three names, Ajay Shirke, G Gangaraju and Rajiv Shukla and Anurag Thakur who might be up for a contest to get to the honorable post.

President of Maharashtra Cricket Association, Shirke, has straight away denied all the rumors. “There are several reports doing the rounds, but I can assure you that I had no meeting or any sort of communication with Manohar. I haven’t tried to communicate with anyone either,” Shirke said to Hindustan Times (HT).

However, there has been no confirmation about the other two big names, Indian Premier League (IPL) Chairman Rajiv Shukla and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur. A BCCI source revealed to HT, “When Jagmohan Dalmiya was in power, it was Thakur who took the important calls. With Manohar’s entry, it had left Thakur playing second fiddle. It would be safe to assume with Manohar’s departure, Thakur would want to wrest back his position of power. Shukla too has been given complete control of the IPL and enjoys a lot confidence among most members.”

Apart from the four, another potential candidate has to Mumbai Cricket Association President Sharad Pawar but what ticks him off of the list is the fact that he is currently aged 75, which is contrary to Lodha Committee’s recommendation of restricting the age to 70.

International Cricket Council (ICC) will start the process of selecting the President through election from May 14.

4 possible contenders for BCCI President’s role following Shashank Manohar’s resignation speculations: Reports - Latest Cricket News, Articles &am...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock