Breaking India is setting up an IMEI database to tackle phone theft

Abhinav

Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
India's Telecom Ministry will soon introduce a Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR), which will have a database of IMEI numbers.

it will allow consumers in India to inform the Department of Telecom (DoT) that their mobile phone has been lost or stolen with the help of a dedicated helpline number, after they have filed a report with the police. Once it is reported, that IMEI number can we blacklisted, which would make it impossible for the device to access any cellular network.

India is setting up an IMEI database to discourage phone theft

unnecessary step imo.. we could still blacklist the IMEI when people report a stolen/lost mobile.. there's no need to store all the IMEI number in one place. i hope we won't see a breaking news - "India's IMEI database hacked. Millions of IMEI numbers leaked online"

unnecessary step imo.. we could still blacklist the IMEI when people report a stolen/lost mobile.. there's no need to store all the IMEI number in one place. i hope we won't see a breaking news - "India's IMEI database hacked. Millions of IMEI numbers leaked online"
When my mom reported when her phone was stolen no action was taken by the cops. We got a letter in return saying phone couldn't be tracked.

When my mom reported when her phone was stolen no action was taken by the cops. We got a letter in return saying phone couldn't be tracked.
That's what happens in most cases. My neighbor's phone was stolen, he filed complaint as usual nothing happened. Currently there is no option to track stolen phones specially if thief has some knowledge about tech.

Last edited:

That what happens in most cases. My neighbor phone was stolen he filed complaint as usual nothing happened

That's exactly why i said this isn't a good move. This database would do no good except being a tempting prey for hackers.

Hope the server setup is not in Aadhar cluster :p

That's exactly why i said this isn't a good move. This database would do no good except being a tempting prey for hackers.
Alright bro. Let's face it. None of us are really aware if any of our data is safe. The more i watch shows like Utopia and Mr.Robot the more i lose hope over the govt. Hackers will do their job regardless. Let's see how much time they take to implement this step first.

Our government is not accepting criticism. EllIot Anderson (Twitter handle fs0c131y) surfaced many vulnerabilities including Aadhar, but instead of thanking him our Government Blocked all links to join his Telegram and WhatsApp group.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock